Thursday, February 4, 2016

I Have a Favorite

I have a favorite.

It is not a favorite CD of  mine.

It is not a favorite song.

It is a favorite moment.

At each of my concerts there is a point at which I sing my song “Face The Facts,” an active movement game with some silly word play:

We must face the fact. Our swimming arms are back.
They are splashing, flapping, stretching, lapping one full mile exact.
We must face the fact. Our swimming arms are back.

Watching everyone rousingly pantomime "swimming arms,"  "scissor legs," and "driving hands" is fun….but those moments aren’t my favorite. 

My favorite moment is when I look out at the children, parents and grandparents as I sing:

We must face the fact. Our binocular eyes are back.
They are peering, peeking, scanning, seeking needles in haystacks.
We must face the fact. Our binocular eyes are back. 



I break into a smile at every concert as I see each family’s “binocular eyes”….not on me, but on each other.  Moms and dads make silly faces as they peer into the eyes of their children and the children excitedly stare back with “binocular eyes” of their own.   Grandparents join in the play as well.  As the verse ends it is not unusual for everyone to sneak in a little hug before the next verse. 


This moment, at each concert,  reminds me why I picked up a banjo and started strumming.  Unlike most musicians, it’s not because of the music.  It is because music provides so many opportunities for children, parents and grandparents to play together.


2 comments:

  1. I so agree -- and I'm going to use "binocular eyes" with my granddaughter real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were lots of grandparents at my concerts yesterday in Akron, OH. And there were LOTS of binocular eyes!

    ReplyDelete